‘Education made easy and accessible’ is what Khan Academy is known for. It’s a free learning and self paced platform where any student can gain free access to all learning material (videos as well as theoretical content) to understand tough concepts as well as to reinforce what you may be learning in school or college. Their videos and content range from school kids to heavy professional courses and entrance examinations like MCAT, SAT, GMAT, NCLEX-RN, IIT JEE and CAHSEE. It is a very popular and free learning platform.
Khan Academy provides services not only to students but to faculty as well, to train them and prepare them well to become better instructors. The material can also be accessed through mobile applications and application for i pad.
When it comes to the ‘Nursing Profession’ passing the NCLEX is mandatory. The main goal of the National Council of State Boards of Nursing is to ensure that the nurses who pass the NCLEX are capable to effectively do their job. Nurses deal with saving and preserving the lives of their patient. For this reason, you can expect the NCLEX test to be very difficult than the exams in college.
Khan Academy also provides study material for NCLRX -RN exam. Lets review it:
Well organised and elaborate content, is what they provide. Chapter wise distributed content which is aimed at making learning simple and easy. Tough concepts are dealt with special emphasis to make students understand them. They provide text material as well as the certain subjects are aided with videos wherever needed.
In order to help nursing students prepare for the NCLEX-RN, they’ve created content which they claim is which has been reviewed under the direction of ‘American Association of Colleges of Nursing!’ So, you can trust the content.
- Provide an easy to understand version of the core Nursing Content.
- The content is distributed chapter wise as well as within a chapter they have dealt with different topics individually to make it even more simple and understandable.
- Video lectures available to support the digital text material.
- They provide learning through apps for mobile and i pad users.
- NCLEX style questions: Provide topic wise questions and unit tests so that you can practice as soon as you learn a particular subject.
- NCLEX style practice tests: NCLEX style tests are also available that you can get a good practice of the test after you learn your entire conent.
- Though the syllabus for RN and PN does not differ much, but the pattern of the exam and style of asking questions differs. Khan Academy has specified that their study material and practice questions are designed especially for NCLEX RN.
- Its absolutely free of cost.
Once we know what this one has to offer the next step is decision making… So, who can actually benefit from this and where does this NCLEX review lack? Let’s find out..
Of course the price factor is unbeatable since it does not charge you at all.
But, what you get here is good content which you cannot rely on solely but it will be a goood supporting material for you if you’re a student in any Nursing school. If you are very comfortabe with digital learning and can’t find answers to your queries or the faculty is’nt able to simplify for you certain tough subjects, you can very well use Khan Academy for your benefit. It wil upgrade your knowledge rather re inforce what you learnt at school.
“Making students understand difficult concepts is their main aim,” while also giving you a pratice of NCLEX questions with correct answers and hints and rationales.
But for a student who has passed the Nursing school long back, or soemone who wants a set pattern of study and a disciplined plan to stick to, tricks and strategies to handle the NCLEX questions and rigorous practice sessions this one won’t match your expectations. What you won’t find here is any sort of support from their faculty or other students, questions with detailed rationales, any passing guarantee, or any reminders that will push you to utilize your time well.
No special tactics provided to handle SATA quetsions, no strategy or crticical thinking development. They only focus on CONTENT! Knowing and understanding the content well is important but not the ONLY necessary element to pass the NCLEX. While using Khan academy’s NCLEX RN material you are on your own. Though you might get help for content, but the rest aspects where an anxious student is guided, taught and made to learn in a manner that his/her sterss levels are lowered and within a specific period of time is ready to take the NCLEX test.
Remember that NCLEX is ALL about critical thinking, only knowing your content won’t get you through. You’ll of course have to spend some bucks but there are lots of affordable options which are not too high on cost, neither low in quality taht will help you to get through in the first attempt.
EDITOR’S NOTE: If you’re looking for an NCLEX review program that not only provides you with updated and sound content, but helps you build the ability to think confidently, train you to analyse questions by making you acquainted with case studies, practical scenarios and simulation tests; we recommend Brilliant Nurse, which offer a variety of courses for RN as well as PN aspirants. Check out the links below:
Why do we recommend Brilliant Nurse NCLEX review program?
Be it NCLEX-RN or NCLEX-PN, you actually need an overall approach for passing the NCLEX that not only focuses on content, but application too. The review course should make you aware of the different types of questions and train you to handle them. Each question is unlocked with a different strategy and that’s what Brilliant Nurse will help you master, along with not neglecting the other aspects of NCLEX exam.
In a sentence, we can say that Brilliant Nurse Review is a comprehensive, fully fortified and affordable approach, where you have to add in only one thing and that is your hard work!
1. UPDATED AND SOUND CONTENT: They provide, content based on the updated syllabus keeping view of the present requirements. The content is organised nad delivered in an innovative way. They also cover a wide array of topics, to keep you adept and updated with the most needed information on various facets of nursing that you have no chance to regret later. ‘No need to keep hunting in journals, magazines and websites to keep yourself updated on latest changes and developments…’ With minimal time wastage you will get all relevant information at one place.
You can study smartly using the most popular and recommended nursing books, but in the most simplified way. This programme is also used by private institutions and centres that want to help their students or colleagues to be well prepared to take up tests of standardisation for nursing.
The content has also been made innovative by converting it into a video lectures format. The videos not only deliver relevant content but also explain how to study and apply the information being provided.
2. DEVELOP BOTH CRITICAL AND CLINICAL THINKING: NCLEX, comprises of a wide array of questions. It tests your all round abilities. There is no single approach to answering such a variety of questions. This program does not provide you any pre set algorithm or set of rules that you need to follow, to solve questions and reach the right conclusion, instead it prepares your thniking and develops in you the confidence to handle any new and question yourself.’
They focus on providing you questions based on practical situations, various case studies, situation based discussions, making you learn how a clinical situation unfolds, and collaborative learning that will make you ready to handle questions yourself. This course does not impose on you a set of rules, rather leaves you free to think being guided by your previously learnt knowledeg and practice, not leaving you confused and boggled in the midst of the test.
3. ACCESS TO CONTENT VIA MOBILE: To save your time, and help you study as week as take tests while commuting, they provide this facility too.
4. STUDENT SUPPORT: This class includes round the clock student support in addition to opportunities for regular interaction with teachers. The faculty is supportive and accessible. They help you break down questions that you find tough. They have also allotted weekly 75-minute sessions of student and teacher interaction during which students can request advice and information to help them prepare for the NCLEX exam.
5. PRACTICE: All programs provide passing guarantee, over 2000 practice questions, and track your progress, and keep you updated about it, ensuring you try to fill in the gaps.
6. AFFORDABLE: NCLEX is difficult, but that does not mean you need to empty your wallet completely. They have a monthly plan (at $75) per month, the best part being you can cancel anytime! The 3 months program costs 175$ and the 6 months program is for 275$ only.
Brilliant Nurse provides an NCLEX crash course for a price as low as you would like to give, (which means ALMOST FREE) that will address all your queries , as to how to get started and much more than that. It will simplify things for you, boost your confidence and help to build courage to take up the right approach for the exam. So, if you trust them take the complete test prep plan and pass with flying colours!
Brilliant Nurse takes care to sort out and break every question such that you may first understand the type of the question and its demand, then you can answer it correctly.
‘ A glimpse of how, every type of question (in NCLEX) needs to be answered with a different approach.’
- Multiple choice questions: have only one correct answer
- Multiple response questions: Have more than one correct answer (probably more than one)
- Hot spot items: require you to answer such that you select the right location of a specific item! W.r.t a diagram or figure you need to choose the right form of wave, or injection site etc
- Fill in the blanks: mostly those which require calculation
- Chart/exhibit items: showing tabular or graphical data asking you to comprehend it and take decision
- Drag and drop/ Ordered response item: Asks to place given info in the right sequence or order
- Graphic option item: Needed to choose the right graphic item
- Audio items: need to listen to sounds like breathing sounds, heart sounds etc to interpret and take decision
- Video items: need to answer acc to any procedure shown in the video or the information provided
- Analysis Level items: require you to analyse various symptoms/ data to take the right nursing decision
- Application level items: test the soundness of your nursing content, test the application of what you’ve learnt
- Synthesis level: Require to take bits of information to take a decision
- Evaluation level: Can ask you to determine the effectiveness of nursing care
- Creation level: demand you to find a novel approach to address a problem, based on your intellect and perception
- Cognitive level of test items: need clinical reasoning to be used and applied
Before, deciding on which course to take, you need to remember that knowing your nursing content and learning the clinical skills in a nursing school is not enough to pass the NCLEX exam. What you need more, is to be good at critical thinking! Knowledge at both ends, practical as well as theoretical, and its sound application will lead you to cracking the NCLEX in the fisrt attempt.
Briliant Nurse is one such program that will guide you with the right study material, assitance, needed practice and APPROACH to handle questions to crack the NCLEX-RN and NCLEX-PN exams.
Bottomline: Brilliant Nurse Course not only provides the right content but will train you, upgrade your abilities and unlock the potential to be at your best!
EDITOR’S NOTE: We recommend Brilliant Nurse’s 6 months All access test prep tracks with daily assignments courses for preparation of NCLEX-PN® and NCLEX-RN®. Click the given links for further information. Ultra-extended (6 month access) NCLEX-RN® Test Prep Track + Learning Path – with Daily Assignments and Ultra-extended (6 month access) NCLEX-PN® Test Prep Track + Learning Path – with Daily Assignments